Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How do you feel about your passions and music?

Contemporary music, i.e. commercial orchestral music lets my mind go great distances. Whenever I watch movies that have contemporary orchestra I get inspired and transported into a world where passion eliminates war, and where rain is never ending, but where floods are rarely seen.
Every soft brush of the bow of the melodious string section, the grand French horn, the pompous drum, and the sweet voices of the violins form part of one orchestra, and not one individual sound will ring on its own.
Music, that simple five letter word makes my mind wander into all the possibilities of happiness. Rejuvenation, yes, that word too has many connotations. Music, rejuvenation, and to add on, nature, have connotations that have deeply changed my life into how it is now. I have many passions, but the most vital to my existence is MUSIC.
When people hear the word or simply read it on text, they often think of more “youthful” genres like rock or hip hop. Although I too enjoy these genres, classical and contemporary orchestral music are what triggers my imagination and takes me to where ever I want to go.
Nature, i.e. the ocean and forests, have become fascinations that have also inspired me. I am grateful for living on earth; its beauties and mysteries keep me alive. Its vital processes are what keep the world spinning. We as humans must learn to live with it and not over it. We have this idea that we have always been better than nature, yet we know that it can destroy us very quickly.
Love. People have confused it with lust.Yes, I know that if it weren’t for sexual interaction then we all wouldn’t be here. But love shouldn’t be just about the physical interaction; it can be love for substances that can’t be seen, it can be love for substances that are grand and mighty and beautiful, or it can be love for something so breathtaking and incredible that we perhaps would not be able to live without it.
Now I take these ideas back to the beginning and connect them to music. It all makes sense, at least to me. It’s not just about being able to play a chromatic scale with double stops; it is about feeling the music under your skin, inside your veins, crawling up your spine. I know this might sound painful, but it really is an enjoyable, extraordinary aspect in life. It IS life…not only the life of a musician, but the life of all creatures, both living and non-living. If all people would see the natural world like I see it, we would be in harmony with it.
But one of my life long goals is to change people’s ideologies about how they see and feel about nature. I’m sure everyone thinks it is beautiful, but what I’m not so sure about is if they feel the need to protect it. Yes, life goes on, we are born and we die…but there has to be more meaning to life than just the cycle of it. Music can do that; add more meaning. It can enter our systems, our souls and minds, and can mold them into positive beings.
WE are the future generation and must use our strength of “word” to nourish ourselves and those around us. Every note is a step closer to my reality. Am I being too imaginative? Too dreamy? Too optimistic? We can only improve, from now on we can improve. I know I’ll be long dead and so will many of the future generations, perhaps hundreds of future generations, but we will change. It will change. It will. Change.

1 comment: